[whatwg] About adopting quirks mode parsing

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Jul 18 21:00:34 PDT 2006

Le 18 juil. 2006 à 21:43, Ian Hickson a écrit :

>> It might be desirable also that a valid HTML4 document gets a
>> conforming
>> HTML4 DOM. If it is, then <p>s shouldn't contain <table>.
>
> I agree.

<dl> being structured inline-level elements? Let's take this valid
snippet of HTML 4:

According to HTML 4 parsers, I believe the DOM will be:

       #text: Some text
     UL
       LI
         #text: List item

But in HTML 5, where the list can be part of a paragraph, shouldn't
the list be put inside the paragraph? Giving this DOM:

       #text: Some text
       UL
         LI
           #text: List item

Or should the list be put inside the paragraph only when you have an
explicit closing <p> tag following the list (so that it becomes
invalid HTML 4):

?

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com