[whatwg] Forms and POST'ing to data: URL's

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 10:15:25 PDT 2006

Hello,

I was look at the "submitting and encoding form data set" for the "data: URL"...

    http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#for-data

... and noticed that (at least when I read it), there does NOT seem to
be a way to include values from multiple inputs.

Let me elaborate with an example.  Consider the example of generating
some kind of letter where you fill in the blanks.  (I'll show a rather
simple example here.)

    <form method="POST" action="### DATA URL HERE ###">

         <input type="text" name="given_name" />

        <input type="text" name="family_name" />

        <input type="submit" value="generate letter" />

    </form>

How would you get the value of "given_name" and "family_name" into the
data: URL?

What I want is something like...

    <form method="POST" action="data:,To whom it may concern.  My give
name is '%%{given_name}' and my family name is '%%{family_name}'.
Sincerely, %%{given_name} %%{family_name}">

        <input type="text" name="given_name" />

        <input type="text" name="family_name" />

        <input type="submit" value="generate letter" />

    </form>

(Excuse any word wrap in the example above please.)

(Where %%{given_name} and %%%%{given_name} would include the value
from the input text box named "given_name".  With the first form being
singly URI encoded, and the second form being doubly URI encoded.)

Is there any way of doing anything like this currently?  (And if
not....) Is there any plans on doing anything like this?

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca
    supercanadian @ gmail.com