[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 7 11:47:42 PDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, White Lynx wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> >
> > What we need, to move forwards on this, would be a full proposal for
> > what you want added to HTML5. Currently this thread seems mostly to be
> > along the lines of "we should add maths, but we shouldn't make it
> > hard".
>
> Sketch of the proposal is available [1], comments are welcome. At this
> stage prose is far from being polished, but I hope it is readable.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/chavchan/html5/proposal.xml

So, while I applaud the re-use of ISO12083 here, it seems like an odd
choice. The resulting language seems to be just as verbose as MathML, so
why not just reuse MathML, which already has a Web presence? Also, your
version of the vocabulary doesn't seem quite the same as ISO12083, which
means we would be introducing yet another mathematical markup language, in
a space which already has many such languages.

Why not just re-use MathML? MathML already has defined semantics, a
defined interpretation based on DOMs, defined DOM interfaces, and an
implementation in at least one browser.