[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 7 17:28:42 PDT 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> I'd like to try something a little simpler. So here is my idea for a
> math markup.

I would be very cautious about introducing an entirely new language to do
this (even if it is "just" an extension of HTML4). For something as big as
Mathematics, we want to simply re-use an existing language, not invent a
new one. Inventing a new language for encoding content with as wide a
problem-space as mathematics would require months, as well as the time of
domain experts, etc. This work has already been done, e.g. in ISO12083,
MathML, LaTeX, and other such languages.