[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Jun 2 08:10:42 PDT 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 17:28, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Quoting White Lynx <whitelynx at operamail.com>:
>>> So WHATWG doesn't really care about DTDs. (There are two people
>>> involved with that though for validating.)

Are you referring to fantasai and me? I am not doing anything with
DTDs. AFAIK, fantasai isn't working on DTDs, either, currently.

There have been forward-looking statements about DTD or XSD versions
of the schema generated from the RELAX NG master. Considering the
level of RELAX NG-specific features used in the schema, I'd expect
Trang-generated DTDs and XSDs to be rather imprecise. Moreover,
personally, I don't like the idea of generating DTDs, because it
would encourage people to use doctypes and would give them a false
sense of security (after validation against an imprecise DTD).

>> it is better to know in advance whether normative DTD is required
>> or not
>
> It's not.

More precisely, (X)HTML5 will not have a normative schema of any
kind. The English prose is normative. Furthermore, letting schemas
affect the design of the language doesn't go down well with Hixie.
(Yes, I tried after all. :-)

That said, considering my sunk cost in contributing to the RELAX NG
schema, I'd appreciate it if the language did not gain features that
are too crazy for RELAX NG + Schematron. :-)

> You do need to know how to write it though...

Need to know how to write a normative DTD???

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/