[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Wed Jun 7 09:46:40 PDT 2006

Quoting Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com>:
> I would also use <f> instead of <formula> (as Juan used in one of his
> example), because it's shorter and fits well with many other wildly
> and <dd>.

This would only work if it would in fact be wildly used. And since
math doesn't seem to be that wildly used and probably won't ever be
wildly used I guess a more descriptive name is better to avoid
potential confusion, imho.

> Under scripts and under braces, over scripts and over braces: Is it
> useful to have distinct <ubase> and <obase>? And the whole concept
> reminds of the Ruby Annotation module of XHTML 1.1 [2] and Ruby in CSS
> 3 [3]. Maybe some parts of that model could be reused. Maybe we could
> even add Ruby (or a derivative of it) to HTML 5 and use it in formulas
> and elsewhere.

I've already sort of proposed to add Ruby to HTML. Simple Ruby is
already supported by Internet Explorer in HTML (I think the XHTML
module was based on that implementation) and it makes sense to have it
for certain foreign (to me at least) use cases.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>