[whatwg] Simple numbers

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Wed Jun 7 10:07:03 PDT 2006

Quoting Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.com>:
> Maybe a number element would be valuable, both inside and outside
> formulas, to provide format-neutral machine-readable numeric values:
>
>     <n value="123456789.12">123 456 789,12</n>

So the machine can just infer the format inside from the locale. The
only thing it needs to know is what the number is and perhaps what
base it is in. So you probably need <n base=""> or so and a thorough
definition. I'm just not sure if having a new element for each piece
that encloses something semantic is a solution that really scales. On
the other hand, it probably does for the top50 use cases or so.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>