[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Wed Jun 7 10:39:01 PDT 2006

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:09:57 +0700, Michel Fortin
<michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

> I would also use <f> instead of <formula> (as Juan used in one of his
> example), because it's shorter and fits well with many other wildly used
> <dd>.

<formula> element is only needed for what is called "display equations" --
they are rendered out of line, usually centered, and sometimes numbered.

That way, inline math would require no special element at all -- just
write math in the middle of a sentence, and it should work. On the other
hand, when math is put inside a <formula>, it's displayed on a line by
itself, centered, numbered etc. And, by the way, one can actually have
just plain text inside a formula, such as some statement in prose that
needs to be centered and numbered like other formulae.