[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Sun Jun 11 10:08:34 PDT 2006

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:34:00 +0700, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au> wrote:

>>  Enabling or disabling spell checking doesn't change the functionality
>> of an input.

> While the core functionality of allowing the user to enter text isn't
> changed, I'd consider spell checking to be part of the control's
> functionality, and so disabling it would change the functionality for
> the user.

There's nothing really bad in allowing CSS to control behavior to some
extent. CSS is a good rule-based language, and there is a use case -- why
not reuse the CSS engine (selectors, cascading etc)?

>> But misspelled words in an input with spellchecking enabled are
>> underlined with a wavy red line (and the underlining style could even
>> be changed by CSS), and that's presentation.

> Arguably, yes, but allowing authors to alter the presentation of
> misspelled words from the UAs default settings would only introduce
> usability problems.  Users may not easily recognise any presentation set
> by the author as representing a missplled word.  UAs may provide a way
> for the user to set their preferred presentation using some UA-specific
> means, but there's no need at all for the author to have any control
> over it.

It's not a bigger problem than is the author's ability to style
hyperlinks. Such ability exists for years, but actually on most websites
there are no problems with spotting links. Though authors theoretically
can use CSS to make their sites unusable, almost noone does so.