[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jun 11 11:59:40 PDT 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, White Lynx wrote:

> Agree. Once conceptual issues will be resolved and WHATWG will clarify
> its position regarding math markup, we can return to naming conventions
> and if majority prefer brief element names, ISO 12083 element names will
> be replaced with shorter ones.

WHATWG doesn't have a position on this -- different contributors have
different opinions, and no clear consensus is being reached as far as I
can tell.

Personally I think the best way of demonstrating that no browser-native
support is required would be for someone to develop a specification for
mathematics markup using the microformats.org principles. If this
demonstrates that it really is possible to create viable math markup in
HTML and have it completely styled in CSS then that would be a good step
forward.