[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

juanrgonzaleza at canonicalscience.com juanrgonzaleza at canonicalscience.com
Mon Jun 12 05:36:25 PDT 2006

?istein E. Andersen wrote:

> Conversion to MathML is obviously more difficult because the base has to
> be found and encoded explicitly. Still, I do _not_ say that conversion
> from TeX to HTML5 will be trivial in all cases.

Then we agree. As stated a the beginning of discussion by some, TeX
backward compatibility will be maintained so many as was possible.

>>[classes:] "vector" or "Hilbert-vector" [or] "ket".
>>I would leave [the choice] to authors until that a generic
>>semantic markup was achieved, proved to be consistent and powerful and
>> then used by authors.
>
> With all the different concepts and notational conventions that exist in
> different scientific fields and mathematical disciplines, no such thing
> as a generic semantic mark-up is likely to appear any time soon. I tend
> to believe that you agree.

I wait to see content markups spreading in a near future, but I think that
semantic markup is a dead horse (as AI was decades ago). Still semantic
web is main vision of Tim Bray last years (the WHATWG takes a pragmatic
approach trying to solve everyday problems).

> The combination of author-defined classes and CSS styling obviously
> makes sense in many ways. Still, I am a bit reluctant when it comes to
> encoding the right font using the class attribute. Perhaps a profile
> would make it acceptable, as suggested by Michel Fortin.

Maybe.

>>Also "tag" is not usual in French texts.
>
> I am afraid I do not understand what you mean.

Oops! I did mean "tan".

Juan R.

Center for CANONICAL |SCIENCE)