[whatwg] On accessibility

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Jun 16 10:31:17 PDT 2006

Le 14 juin 2006 à 21:09, Lachlan Hunt a écrit :

> If implementations can be modified so that accesskeys do not
> interfere with existing shortcut keys, then that's great.   Perhaps
> they could offer a kind of web-apps mode where all Alt+[key]
> combinations are safe to be used by the web page, and then another
> mode where they retain their normal browser functions.  But until
> something like that happens and proves successful, accesskeys
> should not be retained.

I'd like to point out that accesskeys are working very well on the
Mac. Application commands are issued using the Command key and most
browsers bind accesskeys to the minimally-used Control key.
Accesskeys do not conflict with other system and application
shortcuts unless the user defines his own conflicting shortcuts in
the system preferences.

It would be sad to see accesskeys disappear just because they are
hard to implement elsewhere. But I acknowledge most other computers
don't have a "spare" key which can be used for that.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/