[whatwg] Spellchecking proposal #2

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sat Jun 24 22:16:09 PDT 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 2:02 AM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> However, the proposed spellcheck attribute has one major advantage
> over all of those: it's being designed to allow the user to easily
> override it if they want to.

But realistically, browsers won't "allow the user to easily override it
if they want to", because any interface for doing that would be absurd.
For example, in Opera:

     |  Select all         #A |
     |------------------------|
     |  Check spelling        |
     |  Really check spelling |
     |------------------------|

Teehee. Or in Safari (where the spellchecking interface is confusing
enough already, thanks):

     |-----------------|
     |  Find          >|________________________________
     |::Spelling::::::>|  Spelling…                  #: |
                       |  Check Spelling             #; |
                       |/ Check Spelling as You Type    |
                       |--------------------------------|
                       |/ Spellcheck Sometimes          |
                       |__Spellcheck Always_____________|

Firefox doesn't seem to have a design for spellchecking published on
their Web site yet. Maybe, if they're going to support a new attribute
for authors to influence spellchecking, they'll expose it in the
Preferences dialog:

     [/] Check my spelling in Web page forms
         [ ] Even if the page author disagrees

... Yeah, right. Bottom line, browser vendors will either ignore the
attribute, or they'll make it configurable in a really obscure place
(about:config or equivalent), and leave 99.9% of people wondering
vaguely why spellchecking works on some pages and not others.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/