[whatwg] Spellchecking proposal #2

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 26 12:41:24 PDT 2006

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Quoting Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org>:
>> If this whole attribute rigmarole is merely about trying to distinguish
>> between an <input type="text"> containing email addresses and one
>> containing a subject line, then it seems like a storm in a teacup to me.
>> Either people have to manually request it for subject lines, or the
>> email addresses get red squiggly underlines - deal with it. :-)
>
> So Google is using a <textarea> for email addresses.

   They can work around this by using the repetition features in Web
Forms 2.0:

|    <select name="email[order].type">
|     <option>To:</option>
|     <option>Cc:</option>
|     <option>Bcc:</option>
|    </select>
|    <input type="text" name="email[order].address" pattern="[email]">

   (Note: Replace "[email]" above with a valid pattern value for email.)

   Are email addresses common enough for an "email" type??? They seem
pretty common to me, but we might be overloading the |type| attribute a
bit if we add a new value that's so close to being text. Also, that
doesn't help the above scenario, because I think Google allows names
from an address book in the place of addresses.