[whatwg] WA1: Conformance requirements

Aankhen aankhen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 00:00:44 PST 2006

> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, L. David Baron wrote:
> > [snip]
> > The opening sentence:
> >   As well as sections marked as non-normative, all diagrams, examples,
> >   and notes in this specification are non-normative.
> > is unnecessarily complicated.  Instead, I would suggest combining it and
> > the following sentence:
> >   All of this specification is normative, except for sections marked as
> >   non-normative, diagrams, examples, and notes.
>
> This was changed as a result of:
>
>    http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-December/002780.html
>
> I'm not convinced that your suggested improvement scans better, and it may
> in fact reintroduce the problem in a different way (does it refer to
> "sections marked as diagrams"?).

How about this?

"All diagrams, examples and notes in this specification are
non-normative, as are all sections explicitly marked non-normative."

It's longer, but it doesn't leave any room for confusion that I can
see, and it avoids starting with "As well as".

Aankhen
--
"Why don't you go on a diet!"
"Because I like to eat!  Is that a crime?"