[whatwg] What happens with unknown elements in WA1?

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Mar 8 14:32:12 PST 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, dolphinling wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, dolphinling wrote:
> >
> > > Where in the WA1 spec is it described what happens with unknown elements?
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > "what happens" in what sense?
>
> Are they ignored completely, as if they hadn't been typed in the first
> place? Are they put in the DOM and nothing is done with them? How do
> they affect things like CSS child selectors?

Oh, you mean what happens in the parser sense.

They are handled in the last two entries in the "If the insertion mode is
"in body"" part of section 8.2.2.3.7 (the entries labelled "A start tag
token not covered by the previous entries" and "An end tag token not
covered by the previous entries").

> I'm also looking for special cases, like in a <select>. I don't know
> about other browsers, but Gecko trunk seems to treat <foo1> as an inline
> in a <div> but ignore it entirely in a <select> and move it outside the
> behavior for inlines?).

For <select>, see the "anything else" entry in the "If the insertion mode
is "in select"" entry of section 8.2.2.3.7.

For weird stuff inside tables, see the "Anything else" entry in the "If
the insertion mode is "in table"" entry of section 8.2.2.3.7.