[whatwg] [wf2] More late comments and questions on Web Forms 2.0

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sun Mar 12 06:31:11 PST 2006

These are based on the 2006-01-10 draft.

3.6.1
Item 10. There's a comma missing after '"[")' and before "a modifier".

3.6.1
Example in item 11. Double quote missing in '"[n· string'.

5.
Step 5. When XML submission is used, characters that are not XMLChars
as per XML 1.0 need to be dealt with. I suggest dropping them.

Also, when XML submission is used, CRLF line breaks on the data level
are weird, because the CR would have to escaped in order to preserve
it in XML. I suggest using LF line breaks in XML submission. LF line
breaks in XML may be serialized as literal (unescaped) LF, CR or CRLF.

5.
Step 5. I think NFC normalization should be applied before using
legacy encodings as well. E.g. Windows-1252 can encode many
precomposed European characters but cannot encode the decomposed
versions without precomposing first. However, in some special cases
like Windows-1258 (Vietnamese) it is necessary to separate some
diacritics from the base characters after the NFC step. (But I
imagine Windows-1258 encoders do that themselves.)

5.
Step 8. What happens if a 204 response changes the character encoding
metadata? Or Content-Type in general for that matter?

5.2.
"Note that a string containing the codepoint's value itself (for
example, the six-character string "U+263A" or the seven-character
string "☺") is not considered to be human readable and must not
be used as a transliteration."

I agree with the sentiment, but changing that behavior is not
backwards-compatible.

5.3. & 5.5.
"The submission character encoding is selected from the form's accept-
charset attribute. UAs must use the encoding that most completely
covers the characters found in the form data set of the encodings
specified. If the attribute is not specified, then the client should
use either the page's character encoding, or, if that cannot encode
all the characters in the form data set, UTF-8."

I think sending UTF-8 to unsuspecting form handlers is worse that
losing some unencodable characters. Sending UTF-8 to programs that
don't expect it amounts to garbage in which increases the global
amount of garbage out.

5.4.
Can the presence of the accept-charset attribute be considered non-
conforming when the XML submission type is specified?

5.6. and elsewhere
Minor typographical nit: Em dash used with spaces on both sides as
opposed to either em dash without spaces or en dash with spaces.

5.6.
"The value of the enctype attribute must be dispatched using a case-
insensitive literal comparison."

"case-insensitive" marked up as code. Still worried about considering
Turkish i conforming.

6.1.
"(Even if importing into a text/html document, the newly imported
nodes will still be namespaced.)"

But will tagName return in upper case?

General DOM
Will localName return the name in lower case in HTML DOM?

6.1.
"The following script has only one possible valid outcome:"

"Valid" used loosely. :-)

7.10.
Does "mirror" mean "reflect"?

B.
Is the presence of inapplicable attributes in the input element non-
conforming? (I think it would be useful to make inapplicable
attributes non-conforming.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi