[whatwg] Error in WebApps spec, chapter 6.1.1.4 "Colours and styles"

Jens Bannmann jens.b at web.de
Mon Mar 20 10:26:59 PST 2006

> If the value has alpha less than 1.0, then the value must instead be
> returned in the CSS rgba()  functional-notation format: the literal
> string rgba (U+0072 U+0067 U+0062 U+0061) followed by a U+0028 LEFT
> PARENTHESIS, a base-ten integer in the range 0-255 representing the
> red component (using digits 0-9, U+0030 to U+0039), a literal U+0020
> SPACE and U+002C COMMA, an integer for the green component, a space
> and a comma, an integer for the blue component, another space and
> comma, a U+0030 DIGIT ZERO, a U+002E FULL STOP (representing the
> decimal point), one or more digits in the range 0-9 (U+0030 to
> U+0039) representing the fractional part of the alpha value, and
> finally a U+0029 RIGHT PARENTHESIS.

This would result in "rgba(255 ,64 ,64 ,128)". I guess the spaces should
be following the comma, so the order of "comma" and "space" should be
reversed each of the three times they are mentioned.

Oh, and while we are at it: do we really want a returned value of
   "rgba(064, 007, 00000000009, 128)"
to be legal? I suppose a CSS parser would allow it, but as we're
specifying the exact format here, the spec should probably
explicitly disallow (or even allow?) zero-padded integers.

Best regards,
Jens