[whatwg] JSONRequest

Chris Holland frenchy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 12:45:33 PST 2006

Yeah, my main issue with JSONRequest right now is that we're coupling
two things:

1) protocol specifications to cater to various business needs.
2) security of that protocol.

Doug, you're basically making the assumption that

1) because JSONRequest will work in entirely different ways currently
not implemented by any service
2) it will be secure

I would *love* to be able to use a clean JSONRequest from within the
same host, and have access to cookies and basic http auth, to
transparently conduct transactions, because it's more elegant and
lightweight than some <script> payload, or some HTML/XML document
payload from an xmlhttprequest. And I bet other developers will find
it more elegant and, despite documentation 1) not understand why
cookies and basic auth information are ignored, get frustrated and
generate more time-wasting discussions, and 2) still eventually find
ways to expose their data to be consumed by JSONRequesters, not
realizing that it's available to hosts outside of their firewall.

JSONRequest defines a compelling alternative to xmlhttprequest for
data exchange. But you could easily decouple the "cross-host" aspect
from the "JSON" aspect of your proposal.

That's where the extra HTTP header would come-in:
"X-Allow-Foreign-Hosts": Forcing developers who expose such a service,
to make the conscious choice to expose data to the world, what Jim
refers to as "OPT-IN". If your service is to be consumed by a
JSONRequest, it *must* send that header, otherwise, the client will
simply fail in similar ways as if you tried to load an image in a
script src="", heh.

Again, we spoke about much of all this around here:
http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2005-March/003155.html

too deep at some points.

Looking back, I'm leaning toward hoping the "X-Allow-Foreign-Hosts"
header value would be boolean-esque, and should the service author
wish to more granularly control which foreign HTML documents may
"suck-down" their contents, they might just lean on the value of the
HTTP "Refer[r]er" header value.

and X-Allow-Foreign-Hosts might be instead named
X-Allow-Foreign-Documents ... or something better. heh. and
"ContextAgnosticXmlHttpRequest" is also  a bad name, i'm just not good
at naming things ... <:\

--
Chris Holland
http://chrisholland.blogspot.com/