[whatwg] A better name than <gauge> for the element that shows a measurement

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Mar 20 22:18:10 PST 2006

Ian Hickson wrote:
> So one of the HTML5 elements is <gauge>:
>
>    Relevancy: <gauge>70%</gauge>
>
> Unfortunately, the study Google did on Web authors showed that authors
> cannot spell the word "language", and I see no reason to believe that they
> might spell "gauge" either.

But unlike the almost entirely useless "language" attribute, gauge will
actually have a noticeable result in future browsers and so if it's
typed incorrectly, the author would not see the result and, hopefully,
go and fix it.  Whereas if they mistype language, they won't notice the
error until they validate.

>    <meter> -- looks odd when taken out of context

But "metre" is the correct spelling in en-AU and en-GB, and so I think
much of the world outside of the US may misspell it.  I'd prefer to find
a word without spelling differences between countries, if possible.
Although I guess, just like 'color' and 'colour', authors could get used
to it.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/