[whatwg] <progress> draft

Michael 'Ratt' Iannarelli mcratt at itctel.com
Sat Mar 25 02:11:05 PST 2006

Greetings,

With the meter element I am not convinced that there is a need for a
progress element. Considering this definition of meter...

1. Any of various devices designed to measure time, distance, speed, or
intensity or indicate and record or regulate the amount or volume, as of
the flow of a gas or an electric current.[1]

...certainly a meter could measure progress.

|	<meter value="43" max="58">Pages Translated: 43 of 58.</meter>

Having two elements that represent pretty much the same thing, (a
progress bar is a type of meter after all), is redundant. There are
going to be plenty of web authors using meter for progress, (just
because  the spec says not to ;p).

Whether the progress element stays or goes the numeric attributes for
meter/progress should be purely floating point numbers. Supporting
denominator punctuation characters complicates.

I find processing the textContent of a meter or progress element an
interesting approach but to me it seems like an overly complicated way
to determine the values of the attributes, (much like current tag soup
processing). I would rather the page author either declare the
attributes or have the meter or progress element default to value="0"
and max="1".

I think we need a method to attach the meter (or progress should it
stay) element to specific tasks. (If there is one already, I missed it.)
Perhaps a task attribute? If the task attribute is set the element is
indeterminate until the data needed to establish a meter/progress bar is
received.

Keeping things simple should increase the likelihood that the element(s)
get implemented soon.

Just my thoughts,

Michael 'Ratt' Iannarelli