[whatwg] <progress> draft

Michael 'Ratt' Iannarelli mcratt at itctel.com
Sat Mar 25 05:27:18 PST 2006

Greetings,

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> It isn't redundant when they are not the same thing. They are not the
> same thing here.
>
> Have you read mpt's earlier posts on the topic?
> http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2004-September/002211.html

Yes, I have read mpt's (and others') posts on this topic. I still feel
the progress element is redundant.

<meter min="0" value="0.45" max="1"></meter> represents some value that
is 45 percent of the whole. A graphical user agent is going to display a
bar of some length with 45 percent of that bar highlighted in some
fashion. It is otherwise meaningless without a label.

Disk Quota: <meter min="0" value="0.45" max="1"></meter>

Cloud Cover: <meter min="0" value="0.45" max="1"></meter>

Download Progress: <meter min="0" value="0.45" max="1"></meter>

The only difference between meter and progress is the potential for
progress to be dynamic. The "how" progress will be dynamic has yet to be
defined in the spec. If the method turns out to be as simple as setting
an attribute task="someTask" then <meter task="someTask"> </meter> could
direct the user agent to display a progress-style bar when someTask is
initiated.

One element to implement as opposed to two.

Just my thoughts,

Michael 'Ratt' Iannarelli