[whatwg] <progress> draft

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Mar 28 09:27:51 PST 2006

Ric Hardacre wrote:

> i think it best to un-link the content and value as we cant predict all
> possible use cases, this
>
> <meter value="0.48">48%</meter>
>
> is a simple use case, where the content and value are obviously linked
> but this is not:
>
> <h4>Uploading File</h4>
> <meter value="0.25">400k / 16,000k</meter>

I agree with this.

Having the content be purely fullback, disregarded by a supporting UA,
means that there is the possibility for including some non-percentage
that is more useful when the information is presented in textual form.

It also simplifies the model:
* Ignore content completely.
* Mirror the content of the value attribute into the value JS property
and vice-versa.

This seems like another situation where there needs to be only one,
obvious way to do it. Aside from anything else, it makes it much easier
to figure out how it works by reading examples if all of the examples do
the same thing.