[whatwg] canvas

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 16 04:16:30 PDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, dolphinling wrote:

> I think I agree with Sjoerd here. Changing canvas to be applied to the
> img/object elements instead of its own element would be much more
> semantic, and would also provide better fallback.

Unfortunately, we are constrained by previous implementation work here
(and we were even when the issue was originally raised, sorry for taking
so long to answer it).

However, even if we weren't, IMHO it makes good sense to use different
elements for different things. If the overloading of <object> has taught
us anything, it's that putting multiple features on one element leads to
massive interoperability failures. It has taken years to get <object>
anywhere near usable, and it still isn't fully usable in all
implementations. Adding yet more features to it is not a good plan, IMHO.