[whatwg] Authoring tools and presentational markup

Simon Pieters zcorpan at hotmail.com
Sun May 7 06:09:01 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've been thinking about authoring tools and presentational markup. Forget
my earlier suggesetion to reuse <b> instead of <m>. :-)

If <b> and <i> don't represent bold and italics, then authroing tools will
most likely use <strong> and <em> to represent bold and italics instead.
(This is already the case, even with XStandard[1].)

Therefore I think that <b> and <i> should represent bold and italics, and
authoring tools should use these elements when the UI says bold and italics.

Also, since HTML cannot have semantic elements for *all* purposes, I think
<b> and <i> should be conforming to use whenever there's no other suitable
element type for the purpose and bold or italics is the typographical
convension for the purpose.

[1] http://accessifyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5096

Regards,
Simon Pieters