[whatwg] <input type="text" accept="">

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Wed May 31 17:20:12 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 2006-05-31 19:51 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:

> The Mozilla guys propose (in bug 339127) to make the accept="" attribute
> on <input> elements also apply to types other than type=file, with the
> same meaning as we currently have on <textarea>. Their particular use case
> is to use this as a hook for showing or hiding the spell-check UI.
>
> What do people think? Good idea? Bad idea?

This seems like a bad idea to me.

We might want to use the accept attribute in the future to indicate what
types of content can be sent, and thus what types of input the user
agent should allow.  Overloading that to get a boolean for whether
spellchecking should be enabled seems broken.

I'd rather see a new attribute for this.

-David