[whatwg] Canvas lack of drawString method

Stefan Haustein sh at kobjects.org
Mon Nov 6 13:06:23 PST 2006

Hi Joao,

the Canvas API is already using CSS-like color definitions, so any
Canvas API implementation is already forced to implement some small bits
of CSS. It would be just consistent to describe a font request in a
similar way. Not using CSS names and values for describing font
properties would mean to re-invent the wheel. Why should I learn new
names for font properties if I could simply use the ones I already know
from CSS?

Of course, in a non-browser environment, one would not be able to assign
a style by reference to a style sheet.

I have implemented most of the Canavas API for the Rhino Javascript
interpreter (significant omissions are darker, lighter and arcTo), so if
you are interested in non-browser Canvas API stuff, you may want to take
a look at http://rhino-canvas.sf.net

I did not include any kind of drawString() yet -- I am still hoping for
some kind of consensus on the list... :)

Best regards,
Stefan

Concerning