[whatwg] [HTML5] 3.10.9. The |abbr| element

Christoph Päper christoph.paeper at crissov.de
Wed Nov 1 11:17:20 PST 2006

First off I think the requirement for a |title| is too strict,
because there are time and space saving abbreviations everyone knows
-- i.e. either their expansion or their meaning -- that do not need
an expansion, e.g. "e.g." or "AIDS". Therefore the second sentence
should use 'may', not 'should'. Maybe there could be a mechanism
using |link| to external abbreviation glossaries, which may use |dl|
instead of |dfn|. (I have kind of a deja-vu here, like I already
proposed that sometime somewhere.)

I actually do like |acronym| and use it for "words" where a number or
uppercase letter appears non-initially (except Scottish names), which
get a reduced font size and/or small caps whereas true abbreviations
(with periods) just have their inter-word spacing reduced. Everything
else <abbr title="does not">doesn't</abbr> need markup. I digress,
the main reason for this e-mail is the question for the recommended
usage of |abbr| (in an English text):

1.
   <abbr>i. e.</abbr>
   <abbr>i.e.</abbr>
   <abbr>ie.</abbr>
   <abbr>ie</abbr>
(That's out of the scope of the specification of course.)

2.
   <abbr>i. e.</abbr>
   <abbr title="id est">i. e.</abbr>
   <abbr title="that is">i. e.</abbr>

3.
   <abbr ... lang="la">i. e.</abbr>
   <abbr ... lang="en">i. e.</abbr>
AFAIK |lang| (and |xml:lang| as well) applies to the textual element
content _and_ its attributes' contents, where this is not of a
language-neutral type.

If you cannot answer 2. and 3. the definition of |abbr| is broken,
but I expect either of these:
   <abbr title="id est" lang="la">i. e.</abbr>
   <abbr title="that is" lang="en">i. e.</abbr> (or inherited language)

This is a more expressive solution, but also harder to implement:

   <link rel="abbr glossary" href="abbr.html">
   <abbr>i. e.</abbr>

abbr.html:
   <dl>