[whatwg] Mail list subscription

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Nov 3 21:47:18 PST 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> There are several options for people in that situation.
> 1. Subscribe to the list, but disable mail delivery.  This way, you can
>    still post when you have something to say, but don't receive all the
>    e-mails.

>    * Fill in your e-mail address and click "Unsubscribe or edit options"
>    * Fill in your password on the next page and log in
>    * Disable the Mail Delivery option
>
> 2. Send your comments directly to Ian Hickson.
>    * whatwg at hixie.ch

If people want to send one-off comments without mailing the list, they
should feel free to e-mail me directly. I can mention that somewhere in
the spec if y'all think that would help.

> 3. Join the discussion on IRC.
>    * #whatwg on freenode.

While I encourage anyone who is interested in discussing the spec to join
this IRC channel, I must warn everyone right away that comments given on
the IRC channel are almost certainly going to be lost and forgotten.
Please do forward any comments to the list (or me directly) if you want
them actually taken into account.

Having said that, the IRC channel is a great place to bounce ideas around
while trying to brainstorm a solution to a problem in preparation for
sending a more detailed proposal to the list.

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:51:21 +0100, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu>
> wrote:
> > It would be nice if I could send a comment without having to subscribe
> > to the mailing list first. Many people may notice one or two small
> > issues but not want to participate in day-to-day discussions.
>
> This should work. It just needs moderator approval first.

The moderator gave up moderating this list when the level of spam sent to
the list grew to be an order of magnitude higher than the already pretty
high legitimate traffic to the list. So yeah, e-mails from non-subscribers
won't get through.