[whatwg] Progressive rendering

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sat Nov 4 13:32:55 PST 2006

On Nov 3, 2006, at 07:22, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> It's not only about printing-while-downloading. It's about the
> ability to print an arbitrarily long document without consuming
> infinite memory for DOM.

What kind of use is this about? Is this about XHTML-Print-type stuff
or about Prince-type high-end formatting? CSS already allows page
number references, which means that the formatter has to paginate the
whole document in order to make forward reference by page number.

I have never seen the source of a print-only CSS formatter, but I
imagine an optimized implementation could optimize away the DOM but
would still have to keep the entire CSS frame tree in memory (at
least when there's generated content that depends on later page
numbers).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi