[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Sat Nov 4 14:56:58 PST 2006

On Nov 5, 2006, at 00:23, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
> Like hell it doesn't matter! A DOM doesn't travel over the network.
> The serialized form does.

Anne is talking about the text/html serialization, which is supposed
to be parsed using an HTML5 parser. It is a special-purpose
alternative serialization for a subset of possible infosets--like
RELAX NG Compact Syntax. Please ignore the superficial syntactic
similarity to XML 1.0.

> The DOM is one possible local model used to process the document on
> one system. My tools may or may not be based on the DOM, but
> they're going to start by receiving an actual XML instance. We can
> use TagSoup to fudge HTML, but if you I want to handle MathML, SVG,
> and other things in it, That instance had better be namespace well-
> formed, and it had better use the right names for the right things,
> both local and qualified.

He wasn't talking about chameleon namespaces but about the absence of
namespace *syntax* in the text/html serialization. The HTML5 parser
is expected to put stuff in the right (non-chameleon) namespaces.

I don't think an HTML5 parser needs to synthetize qualified names.
Let's just make the equal to local name in APIs that have a hole to
fill. XML processing is broken anyway if the code is looking at
qNames rather than the (namespace, local name) pair.

This isn't about chameleon namespaces. (Also I am opposed to
chameleon namespaces.)

P.S. Since the HTML5 parsing algorithm assumes that it can require
DOM nodes to be moved or appended higher up in the document, I don't
expect Tag Soup to ever become a fully conforming HTML5 parser if it
is to remain SAX streamability instead of buffering everything in a
tree first. Chances are that users of Tag Soup will appreciate
streamability more than interop with browsers when it comes to the
handling of non-conforming documents.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi