[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Nov 5 04:30:43 PST 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Personally, I think MathML is so hopelessly verbose for hand authoring
> that this really shouldn't be about enabling hand authoring
> MathML-in-HTML5 but about enabling MathML-in-HTML5 (perhaps generated by
> a future version of itex2mml or similar) to be served through content
> management systems that are not built around a SAX pipeline or an XML
> tree API or XSLT but are built as tag soup systems and simply cannot
> guarantee well-formedness. I mean systems like WordPress and MovableType.

Please don't confuse what these systems won't do with what they can't
do.  I personally wrote a system like this that maintained full
well-formedness at all times despite TagSoup input. In fact, that was
one of the easiest parts of what it did. See

http://cafe.elharo.com/web/mokka/

Today's tools and libraries make it easy for anyone using anything more
advanced than a text editor and FTP to publish well-formed documents.
Tools that don't do that by default should be fixed.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!