[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Sun Nov 5 06:03:56 PST 2006

* Elliotte Harold wrote:
>Really? Never? There are many HTML 4 documents that are well-formed XML
>documents? Are these not legal HTML 5 documents? I scanned the spec
>quickly, but I didn't find anything that was flat out forbidden by XML.

For a document to be a HTML 4 document it would need a HTML 4.01
document type declaration, and for a document to be a well-formed
XML document, it would have to have no HTML 4.01 document type
declaration. There are not many documents that both have and don't
have a HTML 4.01 document type declaration. Remember that the DTD
needs to match the production for external subsets.