[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Nov 5 06:39:51 PST 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> Is there anything else that stops every HTML5 document from being a
>> well-formed XML document?
>
> Case-insensitivity and empty elements for example.

These would stop some documents from being well-formed, not all. I'm
sure you're allowed to use all lower case. can you use empty-element

> But in any case, even if an HTML5 byte stream happens to be parseable as
> XML 1.0, you get the wrong infoset if you use an XML parser instead of
> an HTML5 parser.

Walter, we need you!

There is no right infoset. There is no wrong infoset. There is  only the
infoset that is useful to some particular process  at some moment in
time, and which it chooses to create from the actual document. the
infoset I derive from the document is my concern, not yours.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!