[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Nov 5 18:53:57 PST 2006

Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> http://cafe.elharo.com/web/mokka/
>
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fcafe.elharo.com%2Fweb%2Fmokka%2F&parser=xml&laxtype=yes
>

> I think that makes my point for me.

Not really. That's not the system I was talking about. The article at
the URL I referenced describes the old system as well the reasons I
switched to WordPress, but that had nothing to do with well-formedness.
My point is that well-formedness is not hard to maintain if the server
vendor cares to do so. The problem is that many server vendors don't
understand why they should make even a small effort in this direction.
Catering to their problems does not strike me as a wise course for the Web.

The URL timed out when I tried to use your validator so I'm not sure
what I saw. xmllint did pick up one problem with an unescaped ampersand
in some third party code that draconian error handling would have
noticed weeks ago. I'll have to bug that provider to fix that.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!