[whatwg] Footnotes, endnotes, sidenotes

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 6 04:04:37 PST 2006

Michel Fortin wrote:

>      <fnl>
>      <fn id="my-footnote">
>      </fn>
>      </fnl>

   I have a similar view, although I have some refinements:

|   This paragraph has a footnote
| [...]
| <footnote>
|   <al>
|     <ol>
|       <li id="my-footnote">
|       </li>
|     </ol>
|   </al>
| </footnote>

   In the example above, |annotation| serves the same purpose as the
<fnref> element. This allows you to associate an entire block of text to
the annotation rather than just a single point. The <footnote> element
is there to allow more extensive content than a simple list. The <al>
element is a list for annotations. It handles the <ol> element in the
fallback purposes. Because <al> is a list, it can take straight <li>
elements.

   The <a hrel="annotation"> and its contents, when the child of an
element that has an |annotation| attribute, can be ignored by the user
agent and replaced with an annotation-specific presentation. If the
|annotation| attribute is left off, the user agent can assume that the
parent of an <a rel="annotation"> element is the context of the annotation.