[whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Nov 6 05:47:01 PST 2006

James Graham wrote:

> Can we please give up on the notion that XML is just as easy for authors
> as HTML? It's not, and wanting it to be doesn't make it so.

Can we please give up the notion that non-technical end-users are going
to be hand authoring HTML? I used to be believe that, but time has
proven me wrong. As visual editors like DreamWeaver get better and
systems like blogger.com and Wikis provide alternative input formats,
fewer and fewer people hand author every day. Even I only hand author
about half my HTML these days.

By the time this spec is finished, I just don't see it being the case
that we'll really need to worry about how easy it is to hand author HTML
because no one except geeks will be doing it.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!