[whatwg] Footnotes, endnotes, sidenotes

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Nov 6 11:28:53 PST 2006

Le 6 nov. 2006 à 7:04, Matthew Raymond a écrit :

> Michel Fortin wrote:

>>      <fnl>
>>      <fn id="my-footnote">
>>      </fn>
>>      </fnl>
>
>    I have a similar view, although I have some refinements:

> |   This paragraph has a footnote
> | [...]
> | <footnote>
> |   <al>
> |     <ol>
> |       <li id="my-footnote">
> |       </li>
> |     </ol>
> |   </al>
> | </footnote>

I think having an annotation attribute in the paragraph is redundant
with the <a rel="annotation"> element. What happens if the attribute
is there and there is no link? What if the link is there with no
annotation attribute? I think the attribute is completely unnecessary.

Also, you're mixing two different terms (footnote and annotations), I
don't think that's a so good idea. And you're forcing your
annotations to be part of a list, which makes difficult to put them
in the middle of the text to style them as sidenotes.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/