[whatwg] The IMG element, proposing a CAPTION attribute

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Nov 22 06:02:39 PST 2006

Le 22 nov. 2006 à 5:56, Alexey Feldgendler a écrit :

> Let's not think of <label> with "type" attribute or any other
> element which is introduced instead as of a visually element. It
> should be just a way of expressing the value of "title", "alt" etc
> with rich markup inside.

There is already a way to express tooltips in HTML. Yeah, it's rather
limited. I'm not against new CSS properties to display things as
tooltips, but I'd rather see that confined to custom stylesheets. And
reusing <label>, or even introducing a new element, to override
attributes (especially arbitrary attributes) seems cumbersome to
me... how do you represent that in the DOM?

It is also my opinion that the title attribute, whether it allows
rich markup or not, is not the right place for a caption. I'm
certainly not going to use it if browsers hide captions in tooltips
in their default stylesheets. The default stylesheet needs to be a
reasonable fallback, and an image caption must be visible while
glancing at the page.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/