[whatwg] The IMG element, proposing a CAPTION attribute

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu Nov 23 00:24:22 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 23:52:41 +0600, Steve Runyon <s.runyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> One minor point I would clarify: Alexey, you stated that <label for="XX"
> type="title"> would replace the "title" attribute.  I assume you meant that
> it should *supplement* it, since you wouldn't want to preclude its use or
> mess with backward compatibility.

It would replace the "title" attribute from the semantic POV only. For example, various semantic extractors which know about <label type="title"> should use its content instead of the "title" attribute when they need to know the title of something. For those which don't yet know about <label type="title">, the "title" attribute will provide reasonable fallback.