[whatwg] PaceAutoDiscoveryDraftIsPointless

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Nov 28 16:05:50 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, James M Snell wrote:

> Over on the IETF Atom Syntax mailing list we're discussing whether or
> not to pursue the autodiscovery draft that had previously been put on
> the table [1] or to simply point to the HTML5 work and be done with it.
> While reviewing the HTML5 draft and comparing that to the Atom
> auto-discovery draft, a couple of questions came to mind.
>
>  1. Is the order of alternate link rels in a document significant?

Good question. The draft hadn't covered that. I've now fixed the spec to
say that the order is important in one respect: the first <link>, <a>, or
<area> element whose rel="" attribute has the keyword "feed" (which might
also be implied by rel=alternate in certain cases) is defined to be the
default syndication feed for autodiscovery purposes.

>  2. Are multiple alternate links with the same type attribute
>     considered to be equivalent regardless of where those links appear
>     in the document.

Currently, the location of the link is irrelevant (except for the first
one being the default). However, different links with different href=""
attributes aren't "equivalent"; they point to different documents. They
can also have different titles (title=""), languages (hreflang=""), and
preferred media (media="").

I hope this helps. If you have any other feedback, or if you'd like the
spec changed in any way, please let us know. I am very interested in
addressing any requirements the Atom community may have.