[whatwg] Inferring rel="feed" from the media type

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Nov 29 11:15:54 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Mark Baker wrote:

> What about documenting that some agents make that assumption, but not
> prescribing that all agents must do so?

The idea underlying the work here is to foster interoperability, not
document the lack of interoperability, so that isn't really an option.

> And to answer your other question, the proposed new media type for Atom
> entry documents would only solve the problem for entries.  It wouldn't
> solve them for the MHTML-like Atom document I described, nor any other
> non-feed use of Atom... of which there most likely will be many in the
> future.  If such a solution were used as precedent for solving the
> problem for those uses of Atom, it would mean a new media type for each
> use; a media type per link type, in fact.  Ouch!  So no, I'm not a fan
> 8-)

Fair enough. I'm not sure what a good solution would be then. Specifying
rel="alternate" without specifying the type="" when you're using Atom as a
non-feed format seems like the only workable one.