[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Thu Nov 30 05:19:42 PST 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:51:36 +0100, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net>
wrote:
>> It has to allow two authoring syntaxes. One HTML and one XML. I thought
>> we were past that discussion?
>
> I fully expected my proposal to either be bounced immediately as sheer
> lunacy, or for someone to quickly point to the specific reason why it had
> been rejected before.

I think it's still not clear to me what your proposal is and what it would
entail. I thought you solely argued for allowing "/" at the end of the
start tag of void elements, but it seems you don't want an XML
serialization anymore as well or something in that direction.

> The sense I am gathering is that the proposal is not obviously insane,
> and in fact is a bit novel in that such a narrowly scoped adoption of
> XML syntax -- i.e., only to the extent that it both reflects the web as
> widely
> practiced and only to the extent that doing such does not introduce
> ambiguity into the grammar -- had not been considered before.

I'm not sure I get this.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>