[whatwg] WF2 clarification request: File upload controls

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Oct 2 02:22:30 PDT 2006

Alex Vincent wrote:
> In the past, user agents have allowed file upload controls to
> reference files not local to the computer in question.  For validity
> purposes, I wonder if this should still be allowed under Web Forms
> 2.0.

I don't think you could forbid it; this is a feature that people use,
and it would be a restriction that they wouldn't understand. "Why can't
I upload this file from my personal documents directory on the company
file server?"

> Allowing remote values in the file upload control could be a
> performance hit via networking, since we'd have to verify the file
> exists before saying valueMissing is false...

Another option would be to say that for file upload controls, this
value/event is a) asynchronous and b) optional for user agents.
(Optional also meaning they could fire it for some paths and not
others.) In this case, behaviour would revert to the WF 1.0 behaviour.

Gerv