[whatwg] <ol> semantics (and dialogue)

Simon Pieters zcorpan at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:56:51 PDT 2006

Hi,

I think the current definition of <ol>[1] seems slightly too vauge:

   The ol element represents an ordered list of items (which are represented
by li elements).

I think <ol> is a list where the order is significant to the meaning; where
the order is emphasized. For lists that happen to be ordered but the order
isn't really of a big significance or isn't of higher significance than the
global order of the document, <ol> shouldn't be used IMHO.

In essence, I want the definition in HTML5 be more like the spirit in
HTML4[2]:

   An ordered list, created using the OL element, should contain information
   where order should be emphasized, as in a recipe: [...]

Otherwise people might use <ol> whenever a list happens to be in order, e.g.
an A-Z list or a dialogue.

Which brings us to the next point: dialogue. The spec contains an example[3]
which suggests that <ol> is appropriate for dialogue. I'm not convinced that
it is. What makes a dialogue a list? While the order of dialogue is
important, so is the order of any other paragraphs -- I don't think it
should be emphasized in particular. I think I'd mark up the dialogue like
this:

       <q> Look, you gotta first baseman? </q>
       <q> Certainly. </q>

Or, perhaps like this (in XHTML5):