[whatwg] Canvas lack of drawString method

Stefan Haustein sh at kobjects.org
Wed Oct 18 14:12:12 PDT 2006

Hi Gervase,

I think drawElement(elem) opens up a whole new can of worms:

- how would an application determine the size of the text box?
- where is the baseline position, needed for exact axis label positioning?
- there are probably issues with dynamically calculated text values
- code with lots of cross references to elements will be difficult to read
- it needs to be specified whether css properties are inherited from the
parent element of "elem".
- how much horizontal/vertical space is drawElement permitted to use for
rendering?
- the implementation in actual browsers may be more complex than it
seems because of problems with internal data structures for rendering
hints and implicitly introducing the ability to render the same element
twice.
- what happens with contained plugins, canvas elements,
self-references... all this stuff needs to be well-defined

Moreover, drawElement() would not solve the drawText problem for
non-browser environments such as Rhino.

Best regards,
Stefan