[whatwg] getElementsByClassName()

Dean Edwards dean at edwards.name
Mon Oct 23 09:00:14 PDT 2006

On 23/10/06, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals at opera.com> wrote:
> "adding stuff people want instead of referring them to vapourware" isn't a
> very clear distinction. Since both are currently vapourware, it would be
> helpful to ahve some rational basis for determining that one is desired
> and another is not. Like James, I so far don't see that in this discussion.

This has been debated to death. People want this function. So I think
we should add it. The only arguments against are that there are
potentially better solutions, like matchAll/matchSingle. I don't think
that is a good enough reason to not include it. First, it is analogous
to getElementsByTagName. Second, alternatives are not currently
implemented.

It is not uncommon for API's to provide more than one way to achieve
the same end. I don't see why the DOM should be any different. It is
not going to break anything and people want it -- so let's spec it. I
haven't heard a good argument against inclusion yet and we are on the
87th comment in this thread.

-dean