[whatwg] Canvas lack of drawString method

Stefan Haustein sh at kobjects.org
Wed Oct 25 01:46:30 PDT 2006

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> I believe it starts to gets more complex when you get into
> globalization.  (Not that I'm an expert on that, but....)  More
> thought may be needed to be put into this to make this work in a
> global sense (and not just with roman-based alphabets like ours.)
Hi Charles,

what precisely are you suggesting? Are some characters missing from UTF?
Are the writing direction properties of CSS not sufficient to cover some
writing directions?

To my knowledge concerning baseline/ascent/descent, non latin characters
are equal (kyrillic, greek) or simpler, but of course I may be
overlooking something, and I am always happy to learn anything new about
I18N and foreign languages (if it is a bit more specific than "I belive
there may be problems").

Best regards,
Stefan