[whatwg] Getting .innerHTML in XML well-formedness issues

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Sat Oct 28 09:32:58 PDT 2006

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 15:12:46 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
>> One idea would be to update DOM Level 3 Core to make sure you can never
>> get documents that are not serializable. I don't really know if that's
>> feasible though.
>
> In that case, the HTML parsing section would need to be revised to
> forbid element and attributes names that are not conforming XML 1.0 +
> Namespaces local names, to forbid non-XML characters in character data
> and attribute values and to forbid "--" in comments.

Not really, as innerHTML works differently for HTML documents.

> Personally, I'd welcome such a change, since it would truly make
> text/html an alternative infoset serialization for a subset of XML 1.0.

I suppose you mean Namespaces in XML 1.0? I guess that might be useful.

> Non-browsers that use XML tools to process HTML5 will have to enforce
> those constraints anyway in one way or another. Current text/html
> browsers don't, though.
>
> Or did you mean that browsers would not enforce XML 1.0 serializability
> if the DOM was created by parsing text/html? Would you then throw an
> exception if a subtree is imported from such a DOM into a DOM that
> enforces serializability?
>
> The exposure of CDATA sections in the DOM is, IMO, a design flaw in the
> DOM. I wouldn't mind serializing them as normal character data.

Yes, it would be really nice if we could drop the whole CDATA section
thing from the DOM. Together with entities...

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>