[whatwg] Lack of standard for digital signatures [was Joe Clark's Criticisms of the WHATWG and HTML 5]

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren at telia.com
Mon Oct 30 13:09:09 PST 2006

>> >The use of proprietary mechanisms (mostly ActiveX controls) for
>> >digital signatures is common in Korean sites as well, including
>> >Korean government sites.

>> That's right. They sure are proprietary; I was not even able to get
>> the Korean e-goverment signature spec since it is "secret"!

>Korean mechanism is same with general pki's. Its structure has been
>followed by pki standards and browser user-interface for certificates.
>The different things has own 128bit cryptography algorithm so called
>SEED and adds digital signature for messages to be legal authorizing.
>This spec is not secret and gives in http://www.rootca.or.kr/maine.jsp

Dear Channy,

I may have been careless but I could not find the spec of the activeX control
(or similar) that is what I refer to as the proprietary solution.

I may also have confused Korea with Hongkong who definitely claimed that
their scheme requires an NDA.  The same goes for the Australian scheme
which is not public.

BTW, the Swedish and Norwegian government's signature systems are also
secret since they are developed by banks.

Anders